The First Presbyterian Church of Harbor Springs has served the greater Harbor Springs, Michigan area for more than 120 years, providing spiritual nourishment to countless generations of church family and friends.
And our history is as rich and profound as those who have graced our sanctuaries:
Led by the Reverend A. Marsh, the First Presbyterian Church of Harbor Springs was officially formed on Saturday, June 22, 1878 when the faithful gathered at Hartwell’s Hall in what was then called “Little Traverse” Michigan to organize a church of the Presbyterian denomination. The very next day, services commenced and the “First Presbyterian Church of Little Traverse” has for over 130 years been recognized as a spiritual leader in Northwest Lower Michigan.
Less than 3 years later in early 1881, our church was renamed “The Presbyterian Church of Harbor Springs,” and as our membership grew and flourished, it became necessary later that year to purchase property and build a new church on East Third Street in downtown Harbor Springs. Dedicated on the Sunday before Christmas in December 1881, we were truly gifted with a debt-free church in which to worship and honor our lord.
In the decades that followed, our Third Street church continued to grow and as a result in December 1912, it was necessary to add an E.H. Mead-designed lower floor at the cost of $3,000. Other significant events included our incorporation in April 1915; the purchase of “Garriepy Place” for our manse at a cost of $2,314 in May 1915; the dedication of the Erwin Memorial organ on December 9, 1917; and extensive remodeling at a cost of nearly $50,000 which began April 1967 and was dedicated more than a year later on September 1, 1968.
In the early 1990s, a growing congregation prompted us to consider the need to build a larger place of worship, and on September 5, 1993, we broke ground for our new church on the corner of Lake and Cemetery Roads. A year later on October 9, 1994, as a rainbow painted the sky over the new First Presbyterian Church, a procession of members led by the Grand Traverse Highland Pipe Band arrived on foot, carrying elements of worship and historical pieces from our former location on Third Street.
Since that time, our lower level has been expanded to include eight Sunday school rooms and a Senior High Room, and our east wing has been transformed into our beautiful Fellowship Hall - a centerpiece of church and community activity. All have contributed significantly to impressive increases in Worship and membership.
Join Us for Worship
- 10:00 a.m. Sunday
& summer 8:00 a.m.
- Worship for all ages
- Children attend Children's Church after the welcome & children's message
- Nursery care available
- Refreshments in the Gathering Place
- Special accommodations include wheel chair accessibility, large print bulletins/hymnals, and hearing assist
- Communion takes place the first Sunday of the month
First Presbyterian Church
7940 Cemetery Road
Harbor Springs, Michigan 49740
Phone: (231) 526-7332
Fax: (231) 526-7188
This Week's Worship
May 26, 2013
"Living a Life of Significance"
A Salute to the Veterans
Jim Pollard, preaching
Service at 10:00 a.m.