The First Presbyterian Church of Harbor Springs reaches out to the greater community by sharing its facilities with those in need of a safe and supportive environment. Among the groups that meet in our church:
- Alanon/Alateen: Mondays at 7:00 p.m.
- Alcoholics Anonymous: Tuesdays at 7:00 and 8:00 p.m.; and Thursdays at 8:00 p.m.
- Alanon: Fridays at 12:00 p.m.
- Caregivers Support Group: second Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Open to anyone in the community who is caring for a loved one. Facilitated by Rev. David Behling
- Grief Sharing support group meets every Thursday from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. This is a time for support, sharing and learning as we travel with life’s losses. For more information about this ongoing, confidential, community-based support group, please call Diane at 231-526-1446. No religious affiliation is necessary to participate.
Illustrated Bible Life
This study provides verse-by-verse commentaries on the Bible passage for the week, including articles dealing with cultural, historical, archaeological, and theological issues. With creative and fresh teaching methods, facilitators and participants enjoy learning together. Sunday mornings, 8:45 a.m.
Women in the Word Study Group
New readers are always welcome! We read and discuss a variety of books and essays (Emerson, Wendell Berry, John Shelby Spong, Marcus Borg, Barbara Brown Taylor, Martin Luther King, Jr.). We meet Tuesdays, 8:00–9:00 a.m. downstairs in the church education area. Call the church office with questions, 526-7332.
Men’s Bible Fellowship
This small group meets every week on Tuesday mornings at 7:30 a.m. at the church. The beauty of this Bible Study (some like to call it a fellowship) is its simplicity. It is based on the African model for Bible Study. The leader asks one of the men to read that Sunday’s New Testament reading. The leader then encourages discussion asking “what word, what phrase, or what line stands out for you?” After an initial discussion, the leader then selects a different person to read it a second time. This time the leader will encourage the men to discuss how this passage “moves them and how does it apply to their daily life?” Finally, the gospel will be read a third time and the leader then asks the men to discuss how they might take this reading and “use it in the coming week.” Without question the men’s knowledge and understanding of the Bible deepens each week they are there. Because each week is freestanding, please come when you can!
Stephen Ministry is one mission of First Presbyterian Church. The program equips laypeople to provide confidential, one-to-one Christian care to individuals in our congregation and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives.
The 50-hour Stephen Minister training occurs each fall, from early September to early December. As a trained Stephen Minister, you would support and extend the care that our pastors continue to provide. Bi-monthly small group supervision is required of all trained Stephen Ministers. The small group supervision is ongoing throughout the year. These meetings are held on a weeknight for 1 to 2 hours and include continuing education.
Financial Peace University offered summer 2013
FPU is a true and tested program that teaches you how to beat debt, build wealth and keep your own economy thriving. Just ask those who have completed FPU or listen to Dave Ramsey's radio program to hear the seccess stories, or come to the preview class on Sunday,June 2 at 9:00 a.m. here at First Presbyterian.
The full course will meet Sundays at 6:00 p.m. from June 9 through August. The classes are about 2-hours long, with a video presentation by Dave Ramsey and a group discussion led by a coordinator. The classes always have a humorous udertone. The cost per couple including the class fee, materials (textbook, workbook, a set of CDs, and more), and a lifetime membership for both, is $99. If you are not convinced, the first lesson is free.
Join Us for Worship
- 10:00 a.m. Sunday
& summer 8:00 a.m.
- Worship for all ages
- Children attend Children's Church after the welcome & children's message
- Nursery care available
- Refreshments in the Gathering Place
- Special accommodations include wheel chair accessibility, large print bulletins/hymnals, and hearing assist
- Communion takes place the first Sunday of the month
First Presbyterian Church
7940 Cemetery Road
Harbor Springs, Michigan 49740
Phone: (231) 526-7332
Fax: (231) 526-7188
This Week's Worship
May 19, 2013
Jim Pollard, preaching
Service at 10:00 a.m.
Pancake Breakfast served at 9:00 am and 11:00 am.